Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Three Cats and a Dog

A section of the fence in my back yard is directly up against one of our neighbors fences. This has created a small hollow space between the two fences, which has been the birthplace for a number of cats. I always know when there is a new litter because my Lab Rocky starts spending a lot of time sniffing at the fence.


My six year old granddaughter is always trying to catch our wild cats. One day, she came running into the house carrying a long drooping corrugated black plastic tube about five feet long and three inches in diameter. The tube was wobbly and bouncing around as she frantically tried to tell me that a cat was inside the tube.


"Grandma the kitty's are stuck, they can't get out".


The limp black tube was covered in spider webs and dust so I quickly turned her and the tube around and followed her outside to the deck. I wiggled the floppy corrugated tube gently but it just bobbed up and down. Squeezing the tube with my hand, I felt a hard bump toward one end. Tiny scratching sounds and muffled meows could be heard. Out tumbled a little black and white kitty startling everyone. No sooner had it tumbled out than it ran under the wood pile at the end of the deck. Like an ostrich with its head in the sand, the little kitty's bottom half was stuck up in the air and not moving while the top half was covered by the wood.


All the while my big lab dog Rocky had been on our heels chomping at the bit trying to get to these little babies. Granddaughter is crying. I am yelling at Rocky while holding the corrugated tube that was bobbing up and down like an elephant's trunk. Out tumble two more little puffs of fur from the bobbing tube, one orange and one brindle. Rocky's ears and tail point upward like car antenna as he pounced. However, the kitty was a little too quick for him. In the blink of an eye, the orange puff of fur leaped off the deck into the pond. The brindle kitten has not been seen since. It was a perfect example of the fight or flight syndrome.


Meanwhile back at the other end of the deck, the world was coming to an end according to my granddaughter, who was wailing. By this time my husband had come out of the garage just in time to see the orange kitty swimming for its life as he reached down to pluck it out of the clutches of our Koi. The scene was chaotic. There were three little kittens being scattered in all different directions and Rocky was bouncing from one to the other and almost making contact with his paw. In the excitement I had dropped the corrugated tube on the deck. As I picked it up and turned around I saw a white kitty fly out of the tube and spread eagled against a blue sky up and over the Bird of Paradise. I have never seen a kitty walk on air before.


This post was made using the Auto Blogging Software from WebMagnates.org This line will not appear when posts are made after activating the software to full version.

No comments:

Post a Comment